Samsung Galaxy S9
Samsung Galaxy S9 finally here – the Samsung Galaxy S9 has been officially unveiled on stage at the brand’s MWC 2018 press conference, alongside the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.
To celebrate, we’ve put together a guide to everything you need to know about the brand new flagship phone. That includes the spec, design, release date, the latest on pricing and much, much more.
We’ve got photos of the handset so you can see what it looks like, and we break down the key new features, including the new and improved rear camera, AR Emoji on the front camera and improvements to Samsung’s Bixby virtual assistant.
Scroll down to get a full picture of what the phone looks like, split across various categories.
What’s the latest Samsung Galaxy S9 news?
What is the Samsung Galaxy S9 price?
Samsung Galaxy S9 release date
- Samsung Galaxy S9 was announced on stage at MWC 2018
- Galaxy S9 pre-orders open now in Europe, March 1 in the US
- Galaxy S9 release date set for March 16
The Samsung Galaxy S9 was officially unveiled on stage at MWC 2018, but it won’t be on shop shelves just yet.
If you want to buy the Galaxy S9, you’ll be able to pre-order it from 7PM GMT on February 25 in the UK – that’s right after the launch event. Those in the US have to wait until March 1 for pre-orders to open, and we’ve yet to learn about the timing for the rest of the world.
As for when you’ll actually get the phone, the Galaxy S9 release date is set for March 16 globally. You may want to pre-order to ensure you get your device on that date, but everyone will be able to buy it from March 16 2018. But how much is it going to set you back?
Samsung Galaxy S9 price
- Official SIM free price set at £739 / $719.99 if you buy from Samsung
- Those in Australia will likely find it for around AU$1300
- Further pricing is set to follow, and we’ll update when we know more
Samsung has confirmed the price of the Galaxy S9 in the UK at £739 and $719.99 in the US (about AU$1310). Right now we don’t know pricing for Australia, but we’ll update this piece once we hear more.
In the UK, we’ve only currently heard of contract pricing from EE. Deals there start at £53 a month with an upfront cost of £150. That gets you 4GB of data every month as well as unlimited minutes and texts.
In the UK, it’s a 7% price increase over last year, but a massive 25% bump from the price of the Galaxy S7.
We also don’t know any specific US or UK contract pricing yet, but we’ll be sure to update here when we hear from the major networks and carriers on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Live in the UK? Here’s our pick of the best Samsung Galaxy S9 deals
Samsung Galaxy S9 screen
- Smaller upper and lower bezels than the Galaxy S8
- A 5.8-inch QHD+ screen with 567 pixels per inch
- Same Infinity Display design we’ve seen on Galaxy S8 and Note 8
The Samsung Galaxy S9 doesn’t offer any major improvements over the display on the Galaxy S8 – there’s sadly no in-screen fingerprint scanner here, like on the Vivo X20 Plus UD – but it still offers some high-end specs
Samsung Galaxy S9
Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ specifications
- S9 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S9+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 with Adreno 630 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 9810 processor with Mali G72MP18 GPU
- S9 – 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/128GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory with microSD
- S9+ – 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/128GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- S9 – 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, 480fps super slo-mo
- S9+ – 12MP primary rear camera with f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, LED Flash, 960fps super slo-mo, 12MP secondary rear camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera with wide-angle lens, f/1.7 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S9 Dimensions: 147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm; Weight: 163g
- S9+ Dimensions: 158.1mm x 73.8mm x 8.5mm; Weight: 189g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S9 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S9+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging